Sunday, January 26, 2014

Best Weekend Ever...

    So this Friday, after I finished my classes, I went to a friends place out past Bolivar, MO to hang out for a few hours... That turned into several hours. I stayed up the whole night with him and his family having a lot of fun, but BOY was I tired!! On the drive home I couldn't stop thinking about how amazing my nice warm queen size bed was going to feel when I jumped in and curled up under the covers. As soon I got out of the backwoods and my cell picked up service, I had a message from another friend asking to call him, so I did. This is the point I realized that sleep I was soooo looking forward to was going to be ruined... Apparently his fuel pump went out and he needed help with it and since I am such a GREAT friend, I told him I would. (that and he doesn't know a great deal about cars lol) I get out there and the pan was to pull the part off a donor vehicle and replace it onto his, sounded easy enough even though I had never had to do this before. Turns out, you have to drop the gas tank in order to get to the fuel pump -_- yay me. We have this thing lifted with 2 hydrolic jacks, 2 jack stands and 3 scissor jacks as a safety support just in case. After about 4 hours of work, several busted knuckles and trying to detach the fill hoses, it finally comes off!! Thinking it would be easier to get his off, since we had just done it already, we get back to his place and lift it up to remove it only to find out there is a difference in the under body between a 2 wheel drive and a 4 wheel drive with the off road package. His had extra sway bars, 1 of which was in the way of lowering the front end of his gas tank. 
We were out in the freezing cold until 10pm before we were finally able to drop his tank and drain the 3/4 of gas that was in it to make it lighter to move around. We get this tank out of there and replace the pump (no big deal there) and get it back underneath his Blazer and lift it into place then start re attaching the fill hoses, fuel lines and the electrical socket. I have him turn the key to give it a quick test before we finish all the work, just in case, and guess what? IT DOESN'T @#$%^$%^ WORK!! I never thought to check the fuel pump relay beforehand because he was told it was a bad fuel pump, I figured they had already checked it. I look for myself and the relay fuse is perfectly fine, must be a short. As soon as I pull the relay block out and turn the case around to see all the wires leading into it, I notice 1 of the wires looks thrashed. I grab the wire to feel it, checking to see if the wire is melted anywhere, THE THING FALLS OUT!! This whole time it was a bad connection. This wire had been taken out, cut and then soldered to the female connector that is inserted into the relay box. I push the wire back inside and plug in the relay to have him check the pump again and as soon as he turns the key... BAM!! It's working!! :) At this point, we both felt a wave of reactions. We were happy, but pretty pissed since we spent the entire day trying to replace the pump when it was a 5 minute job in the end. I was up from 8:30am Friday until 2:00am Sunday morning, got home and slept till noon and had to get back up to put the donor car back together and ended up having to drive to Ozark to pick up a ladder for my mom who needed it in Willard, MO and spent another hour n a half there. I finally finished and got home so I could start my homework at 9:30pm before school in the morning... Best weekend ever... -_-

No comments:

Post a Comment